For months after the 2018 gubernatorial election in Osun State, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) fought a battle on two fronts.
They were appealing the ‘Abuja remote-controlled’ victory of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Adegboyega Oyetola on one hand and there was a chairmanship tussle between Olasoji Adagunodo and Sunday Bisi.
The latter served to polarise the party the more as the 2022 Osun gubernatorial election is nearing home.
The supporters of Adagunodo wanted any interested candidates to indicate by purchasing nomination forms but were rooting for candidate Akin Ogunbiyi while the Sunday Bisi faction wanted to bring back Ademola Adeleke at all costs.
Despite several court injunctions favouring one faction or the other, the rift came to an amicable end in October 2021 when Olasoji Adagunodo was placated with the position of National Vice-Chairman, South West of the party and Sunday Bisi was left to continue as Osun State Chairman of the party.
Down To Osun Gubernatorial
Gradually, Osun PDP is getting it right; reliable information from the party’s Wadata National Secretariat, Abuja has confirmed that more than three aspirants have picked their nomination and intention forms.
These candidates are:
1. Senator Nurudeen Ademola Adeleke. The first among the contestants to pick his form, Senator Ademola was the candidate of Osun PDP in 2018, He is from Ede North local government of Osun West Senatorial district. He picked his form last week.
2. Dr. Akin Ogunbiyi. The insurance guru is a personality to watch out for. His name has been a household anthem since the 2018 gubernatorial election with an intimidating profile. He is from Ayedire local government in Osun West Senatorial district. He has also picked his form from the PDP National Secretariat, Abuja.
3. Sanya Omirin. He is a former Federal Commissioner, former Secretary, and former Chairman of Atakumosa East local government of Osun State. He is also a grassroots politician and a friend of the youths. Like other candidates, he has paid for the nomination and intention form.
4. Dele Adeleke. The star boy of the 2018 Gubernatorial Election in Osun State. He was the state collation agent of PDP and its candidate, Senator Ademola Adeleke. It was Dele Adeleke who exposed the rigging of the APC to the entire world during that unforgettable night. He represented the party excellently. Dele Adeleke picked his nomination and intention form on Friday, December 10, 2021.
Those likely to pay for the form
1. Alhaji Fatai Akinbade. He is a former Osun State Chairman of PDP, former Commissioner, and also former Secretary to the Osun State Government. A very brilliant and reasonable administrator, a grassroots mobiliser, and a professional politician. Reliable information confirms that Akinbade will pay for his nomination form pretty soon.
2. Omo-Oba Dotun Babayemi. Arrangements are in top gear to pick a form for this friend of the masses. Though Prince Dotun Babayemi is not in Nigeria at present, different political groups are currently in Abuja to pay for his nomination form. Babayemi is a crown prince of Gbongan in Ayedaade local government in Osun West Senatorial zone.
3. Babatunji Tosin Abiola. He is a young promising politician and a graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State. He is also a chartered accountant from Ilesa West local government of Osun East Senatorial zone. He is likely to pay and pick his nomination form any moment from now too.